No matter what team colors you wear on Super Bowl Sunday, make green the theme of your pigskin party! The experts at askHRgreen.org have compiled some quick and easy ways for you to plan a Super Bowl celebration that will help you defend the environment, without tackling your wallet!
- Bulk up for the big game! Buying in bulk minimizes excess packaging; look for items packaged in recycled/recyclable containers.
- Choose reusable plates, cups and utensils. If you have to use paper products, make sure these are made from recycled paper and plastic.
- Keep it local. Offer your guests refreshments and snacks prepared with local foods from your neighborhood farmers market.
- Place a recycling bin next to your trash can where it will be easy for guests to find.
- The traditional fare for the occasion is often high fat, finger-licking foods. Remember to keep the fats, oils and grease out of the drain to avoid clogs that could result in a costly visit from the plumber.
- Skip the disposal and use a sink strainer to catch food scraps. Wipe plates and cookware with an absorbent napkin or paper towel before washing and toss it in the trash.
- If you have gallons of fryer oil to dispose of, recycle it at your community’s transfer or recycling center. Check here for a list of local fryer oil recycling locations.
- Be a greener cleaner by using a vinegar and water solution instead of harsh cleaning products.
You’ll find a wealth of more green plays to implement in and around your home at askHRgreen.org!