By Julia Hillegass
Public Involvement & Community Affairs Administrator
Guilty of throwing your plastic bags out with the trash? Relax and just say “yes” to plastic bag recycling on:
Plastic Bag Forgiveness Day : Saturday, June 25, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Peninsula Town Center (Hampton)
Walmart, 7350 Tidewater Drive (Norfolk)
Residents who stop by either location and drop off five used plastic bags for recycling will receive a cool, reusable ChicoBag™ shopping tote (one per person, while supplies last), along with other freebies and information on ways plastic bags can be repurposed.
Plastic Bag Forgiveness Day is an initiative of the AskHRgreen.org campaign and has been recognized in a regional resolution by the Hampton Roads Planning District Commission and the 16 cities and counties in Hampton Roads. The events are supported by Keep Virginia Beautiful and A Bag’s Life, a national recycling awareness campaign.
DON’T TREAT ME LIKE TRASH!
Reuse me, recycle me, but don’t put me out with the garbage.
Did you know…
- According to the Environmental Protection Agency, of the 3꼲ꯠ tons of plastic bags, sacks and wraps generated nationwide in 2009, only 360ꯠ tons were recycled and 3귊ꯠ tons were discarded. That’s a lot of trash. (3귊ꯠ tons = approx. 423ꯠ elephants)
- Recycled plastic bags can be repurposed into other products such as outdoor decking, park benches and new bags.
- Dry cleaning, newspaper and bread bags, as well as wraps used on products like paper towels and bottled water, can also be dropped off at many retailers for recycling.
- You can log on to www.abagslife.com/va to find a plastic bag recycling drop-off location near you.
- Plastic bags require a different type of recycling than plastic bottles and containers. That’s why it’s important to bring them back to the store for recycling, instead of placing these in your community curbside container.
- Reusing your plastic bags is good too! More than 90 percent of consumers reuse their plastic bags at home for an infinite number of purposes.
- It’s perfectly acceptable to use plastic bag alternatives. Bring your own reusable tote wherever you shop!